• Mindless posted an update 2 weeks, 1 day ago

    • Start of a New Mod on Bob/Alans 3 Stage Neck System–
      I want to be Able to Print or Make the Ball for the Ends separately ,, this is a Mod iv wanted to do for a while (not sure how it will turn out) — has anyone else out there replaced the Printed Ballends with a Tie Rod or Ball Joint –?

      • I Tried, but the Ball joint was very limited in it’s movement, so I reverted to using 3D printed parts.

        • Cool,, thanks for the info– i thought a Ball Joint might be a bit to limited but wasn’t sure – ,, i will stick with designing some different 3d printed parts and see how that goes,,, Cheers Mats

          • It’s important to have screws that go all the way through the ball because they are much too fragile. I had to glue them with acetone a few times already due to travelling.
            If I would do something in redesigning this, I would over dimension those balls and their axes.

            • Yep,, I agree Mr Gael- ,, I was playing around with them last night and the Endballs are 12mm Día with a 7mm Día shaft which is just too small– –

              I’ll start by printing a series a of Endballs and shafts at different sizes – but I think 18mm or 20mm will be a good size but won’t know for sure until I start printing tonight ,, I know a few tricks using the Scale Tool that can save a lot of work on the 3d cad side of things,,, so hopefully that will work on this Mod-,,, and that will just leave a fair bit of simple hand stitching to do,,,

      • Mine actually made themselves two parts after a couple of days use. No CAD needed. I wanted to preserve the original geometry because it offers about the right range of travel. So I glued them back on and instead of a short bolt I thru-drilled the hole and placed a much longer bolt through it. The bolt passes through the neck and into the reinforcing tab that keeps the ball in place. So that is reinforced too.
        Next time I print I will print them separate as in your CAD. I bet you can get the best resolution and quality on them that way. Then glue them on. Then put the long bolt through.

        • That was the original plan just to get a better resolution on the Ballends by printing them separately – but while I’m at it and Mr Gael makes a good point they really are to small and fragile for a major movement system,,,so I will build a Larger version of the Endballs so people have the option to pick and choose –,, Like always I’m a little bit worried about the “Knock On Effect” which can pop its ugly little head up anywhere at anytime when doing Mod work,,,

          • I still contend that it would be good to keep them small to simulate a ball joint and add the required strength but adding the bolt, which is already necessary to mount the pistons. Build a lot of strenghte with a LOT of plastic or a little metal. This is one of the more heavily stressed joints on the bot
            I am sure either would work fine.

            • Gael’s design is completely unique because it does not require metal. All I am saying is that I am not pure and this is one of the few areas that metal solves a few problems.

              Cheers!

            • Just been taking a real close look at the design,- the Receivers Cups are actually a bit oversized for the Ballends (or made strong depend on your point of view) so that’s a bonus ,,, – the appearance won’t change very much at all,,, Just finished I couple test prints of different sized Ballends,,,, and what a differences a couple of Millimetres in Día Make,-,(and I mean only a couple,) I Completely agree with you Perry to keep same size Ballends in services and I will make and release the Same Size Version of the Current 12mm Ballends so there Plug&Play with the Current Receiver Cups,, ( after all who the hell would want re-print the entire system),,– But I will be making a larger Ballend version,,,,, I just cant help myself when it comes to butchering other people’s work,,,,,,lol