What a day!
Yes I was there and I saw all those Ultimakers printers running against the clock. Protospace and Ground3D had organized the Worldrecord of 3D printers in a pretty short time and I was surprised so many people came to participate and watch the event. It is very interesting to see a community of people working all together for one purpose. I got to meet a lot of people and I really enjoyed my afternoon. I have to tell you that at the end of the day, I couldn’t talk anymore. My vocal chords had been pushed to the edge. There was a good band playing music in the printing space and you had to talk pretty loud to make yourself understand.

The robot didn’t get built though, two hands and two heads were ready. Many parts of the torso were done but didn’t get assembled because of lack of time. They were lacking of makers and tools.
Plus, it was a windy day and the printing space was open to the outside, and as you maybe know printers don’t like fresh wind. So there has been many parts that didn’t turn out correctly because of that. Then through confusion of reprinting, some parts have been printed more times than necessary and some others not at all.
But somehow it doesn’t matter, at least it HAPPENED and it was fun, because people were having a good time.

A Dutch article about the event with an interview.

Here are some pictures of the event:
Pictures credit: Ground3D

The Event seen from the road
The installation
Before the opening
Protospace staff organizing the files during the afternoon.
You can see on the table the printed parts.
  Here I am discovering all of what had been done by the staff of Protospace.
People are studying  the printed parts from a new born 3D printer.
Bram trying to look like InMoov.
There was even a Rostock Ultimaker style 3D printer
This part is ruined by the wind coming from the open door.
As you can see InMoov was going to be very colorful.
WormGear being printed without support, I was surprised how well it turned out.


This has nothing to do with the event but I had to put it on the blog.
It was at the Makerfaire of Taiwan 2013. Credits for the video  to 3D Maker.
I just can’t stop looking at the face of the kid when he realize it is the glove that controls the hand.
Great moment!

Comments 9

  1. WooHoo !
    What was the problem with the wind – is it uneven curing or the wind was so strong it made the printers move ? The “ruined” piece looks like it got bumped.
    Great Event !

    • Ahaha, the wind wasn’t that strong, but strong enough to cool down the last layer with blobs. Resulting in a extruder bumping into the cold blobs. The new layers are then started a few millimeters sideways. Your deduction was both way correct.
      Now that’s what I thought for this print, but maybe somebody just kicked boxed the printer also, for the fun of it. 🙂

  2. Totally Impressive!! Your InMoov robot, the whole InMoov Project and now this ! So many printers all working for this wonderful event !! I wish I could have been there…

  3. So reading about the fact that some parts were printed multiple times, while some none at all, I was thinking of how software like BotQueue could fix that. (BotQueue.com)

    My solution would be to hook every printer up to the website using the client, whether running on the raspberry pi or whatever. After all of the bots were set up, and their configuration files were uploaded, you could just submit all of the inmoov parts to the queue that had all of the printers. If a part failed, then in the QA stage, you could fail it and even take the bot offline for repairs. Or, you could re-submit it if it was just something like the wind made it fail. This way, you know you’ve only got one of each and every part that you need. No more, no less.

Comments are closed.